There’s been some buzz about Princess Charlene’s recent appearances or rather, lack thereof. Fueling speculation the royal marriage is in trouble.
In the weeks leading up to couple’s lavish three-day wedding in July, Princess Charlene of Monaco, 33, reportedly tried to flee to her native South Africa after reports TSH Prince Albert had fathered another love child surfaced.
Prince Albert II currently has two known ones – six-year-old son Alexandre through a former Togolese air hostess, Nicole Coste, and a 19-year-old daughter, Jazmin, with Tamara Rotola, an American estate agent.
Rumors about the frail state of the wedding continued after the prince admitted to spending part of their honeymoon in a different hotel to his wife due to work commitments.
The Monaco Royals had been seen several times throughout the summer after Charlene Lynette Wittstock’s wedding to Prince Albert II, but lately the prince had been hobnobbing without his wife by his side.
This weekend, the 53-year-old prince turned up at the event at the Opera Garnier in the Mediterranean principality with US singer Beth Hart, 39, on his arm, whose LA Song “Out of this Town” featured in the final season of Beverly Hills, 90210. The second public occasion in a week Princess Charlene has not attended, according to the Daily Mail. The source also said the prince and the singer looked “very comfortable and relaxed together”.
Earlier last week, the prince attended the launch of the La Belle Classe with his sister, Princess Caroline of Hanover, by his side.
But Princess Charlene stepped out on her own on Sunday, sitting front row at Akris just seats away from Anna Wintour. The Swiss label is a favorite of Princess Charlene, who wore a dove gray Akris jacket to Prince William and Kate Middleton‘s wedding as well as a fuchsia Akris gown at August’s Red Cross Ball.
The princess, who is a former Olympic swimmer, should find much to like in Akris’s Spring 2012 showing. The Telegraph described the collection as “Monaco-themed“, but Charlene told the newspaper that some of the dresses would be too revealing. “There are certain protocols, and obviously I wouldn’t show too much – it [Monaco] is a Catholic country,” Charlene said.
It’s just part of adjusting to royal life. Wrote the Telegraph.
“I think for anyone living in a new country and adapting to a new lifestyle, it’s a different role,” she told the British broadsheet at last week’s Paris Fashion Week.
“I’m just learning,” she continued. “I was an Olympic swimmer, I lived in a swimsuit, I lived on tour.”
Charlene expects that her royal duties will eventually become a full-time occupation, but that she was taking time out to adjust at the moment.
The South African admitted her French was not up to scratch, but was coming along “step by step”.
The couple’s latest unusual behavior comes as the Monaco tourist office launches a ‘World Capital of Romance‘ initiative.
The highly publicized royal wedding attracted some 100,000 visitors, and the Principality is hoping that many more will arrive to visit the place where Albert and Charlene wed.
Montblanc unveiled the collection at a royal gala in Monaco on Sept. 8, attended by Prince Albert, Princess Charlene, Princess Caroline of Hanover, and numerous celebrities. The event included a performance of an original work by Robert Wilson that paid tribute to the life of Princess Grace. The piece was performed by Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright, prima ballerina Gillian Murphy and opera stars Bryn Terfel, Diana Damrau and Shenyang.
Montblanc has created a limited edition Princesse Grace de Monaco collection that will be showcased at the black-tie gala. The range, which includes writing instruments, fine jewelry and watches, will be sold in Montblanc boutiques beginning in November. The pens will also be wholesaled to select retail accounts.
“We tried to really capture all of the elements of her personality, her style, her elegance and her timelessness in each piece we created,” said Lutz Bethge, chief executive officer of Montblanc, of the Princesse Grace de Monaco designs.
Montblanc is donating $1 million to the Princess Grace Foundation-USA as part of the affiliation with the organization and the royal family of Monaco.
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene will make their first official visit to the U.S. as a royal couple for the Princess Grace Foundation-USA’s 29th annual awards gala on Nov. 1 in New York, WWD has learned. The event will honor actress Julie Andrews and take place at Cipriani 42nd Street.
The Princess Grace Foundation-USA supports emerging artists in theater, dance and film and has awarded more than 700 scholarships, apprenticeships and fellowships worth more than $8.5 million since its founding 29 years ago by the late Prince Rainier III in honor of his wife. Sponsors for the Nov. 1 gala include Hermès, Noelle and Dick Wolf, Lily Safra and Mattel.
RELATED TOPIC: Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco Wed
RELATED TOPIC: Who Is Charlene Lynette Wittstock