Titanic Necklace Stolen from Denmark Exhibition

A necklace once worn by a passenger on the ill-fated ocean liner the Titanic (the ship, not the movie) has been stolen from a traveling exhibit in Copenhagen.

Almost a century after the Titanic sinking, a gold-plated necklace worn by a passenger was stolen from an exhibit hall Saturday morning in Copenhagen‘s Tivoli amusement park from the traveling show “Titanic, the Exhibition,”

The show opened in April and is set to run until December 30th.

Park spokesman Torben Planks says the alarm did not sound when the jewelry disappeared Saturday morning.

“The showcase has not been broken into and the alarm didn’t go off,” Plank said, adding police were investigating the theft. “It is pretty embarrassing.”

Exhibition owner Luis Ferreiro said the necklace has an insurance value of $19,300 but he doubted it could be sold because it is known internationally.

“It was very important piece. The artifacts tell stories about the people aboard,” Ferreiro told The Associated Press.

The necklace was owned by first class passenger Eleanor Wildener of Philadelphia who survived the Titanic sinking, according to maritime historian Claes Goran Wetterholm.

The Titanic sank in the North Atlantic on April 15, 1912, while making its maiden voyage. More than 1,500 passengers and crew perished.

The temporary exhibition at Tivoli park includes fine china, ship fittings and other artifacts from the famed shipwreck.

A $1,380 reward has been offered for information leading to the retrieval of the necklace.

Mrs. Widener is probably the most famous.  Her name appears on all passenger lists.  She was aged 50 at the time of the disaster, her full official name Mrs. George Dunton Widener (neé Eleanor Wilkins) and she was traveling with her husband George, also 50, (who presided over one of the greatest fortunes in America) and their son Harry, 27.  Both George and Harry did not survive.  The family residence is listed as Elkins Park, Philadelphia, PA and they embarked Titanic at Cherbourg, France.

“I went on deck and was put in a lifeboat.  As the boat pulled away from the Titanic. I saw one of the officers shoot himself in the head,”
recalled Eleanor Wildener.


No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>