Pop a cork, we’ll recite a witty toast, and learn some wine facts in honor of the occasion!
The purpose of National Drink Wine Day is to spread the love and health benefits of wine. Wine has played an important role in history, religion and relationships. We embrace the positive benefits of wine such as new friends, reduced risk of heart disease and the enhancement of food and life.
1. Wine has been in production since at least 6000 B.C.
2. The methods for making wine spread from the region of Mesopotamia to Egypt, Greece, Rome, France, Spain, and eventually the New World.
3. Today, over 20 million acres of the earth’s surface are dedicated to growing grapes for wine.
4. Almost all wine grapes produce clear juice. Red wines get their color from their skins. White wines usually are fermented only from juice. Pink wines typically are made from starting a fermentation with red wine juice and skins, then removing the partially fermented wines from the skins after a short period.
5. The bottles with high shoulders and long, slender necks are for wines that originated in the Bordeaux region of France, and they include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Malbec.
6. Bottles with the longer, sloping shoulders are for wines that originated the Burgundy region of France. They include Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
7. The name for the very tall and slender Hock bottle comes from a British term for the region of Germany and France where they originated. They also are known as Alsatian or German bottles, and the wines in them typically are made from Riesling or Gewurztraminer.
8. Wines that have corks in them should always be stored in such a way that he cork stays moist — on their sides or upside down.
9. Outside of Europe, if a label says the name of a grape, then that grape made up a large percentage of what is in the bottle.
10. Studies have shown that drinking a glass of wine a day improves heart health, reduces forgetfulness, boosts immunity, and increases bone density.
HOW TO CELEBRATE:
– Instead of buying the same old bottle, try something new!
– Some establishments participate in the event by offering discounts and specials.
– Don’t forget the chocolate!
BEST WINE DESTINATIONS:
Barossa Valley, Australia – Torbreck Vintners
Languedoc, France – Maison des Vins
Mendoza, Argentina – Bodega Norton
Santorini, Greece – Santo Wines
Sonoma, USA – Thomas George Estates Winery
The Guadalupe Valley, Mexico – Alximia
Umbria, Italy – Falesco Winery
“Beer is made by men, Wine by God.” –Martin Luther
“Wine is bottled poetry.” –Robert Louis Stevenson
“Once we hit forty, women only have about four taste buds left: one for vodka, one for wine, one for cheese, and one for chocolate.” –Gina Barreca
“Language is wine upon the lips.” –Virginia Woolf
“Life is too short, and I’m Italian. I’d much rather eat pasta and drink wine than be a size 0.” –Sophia Bush