Oil Pulling is nature’s own whitener and breath mint, try it!
When we first heard about this ‘oil pulling’ business we were a little skeptical. Putting a tablespoon of solid coconut oil in our mouths first thing in the morning, chewing and letting it melt, then swishing it around for a whopping 20 minutes?! Please, we’d rather have a session of Biore strips! But after reading about the benefits of this ancient Eastern natural medicine practice, our intrigue was piqued and curiosity had us stocking up on cold-pressed organic coconut oil.
Here’s the 411.
1. Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic medicine technique that originated thousands of years ago to facilitate better oral and respiratory health.
2. In the age of Crest white strips and bleaching pens, oil pulling offers a holistic alternative to harsh chemicals. According to Dr. Bruce Fife, oil pulling isn’t just for cosmetic purposes either; in addition to whitening teeth, swishing coconut oil around draws out toxins in the saliva and improves overall well-being.
3. While relatively new to the United States, many people are becoming believers after witnessing positive transformations in their oral health.
How it’s done:
1. Before eating or drinking anything in the morning, put a tablespoon of cold-pressed coconut oil in your mouth.
a. It’s a little rough at first, but thankfully it is relatively mild in flavor and melts quickly.
2. Swish around your mouth for 15-20 minutes.
a. During the swishing process the oil pulls toxins from generated saliva, so make sure you are actively moving the oil around.
3. After 20 minutes is up, spit the oil out in a trash receptacle. Do not spit it into your sink or you risk clogging your pipes when the oil solidifies.
4. Immediately floss and brush afterward, preferably with a separate tooth brush.
a. The last thing you want to do is contaminate your regular toothbrush with the toxins your body has just released! After brushing, run your oil pull brush under hot water for at least 5 seconds.
So, is this really all it’s hyped up to be? The answer is YES! After a month of daily use, there are noticeable differences in our chatterboxes, including whiter smiles and fresher breath. Even after just one use, our mouths felt cleaner.
If you’re still skeptical, test it out for yourself. The proof will be in the oil!
Ashley’s Slim & Trim Tuesday: Drink Your Way to Sexy!